Sunday, June 21, 2009

About Me

My name is Chuck. I have played Warhammer 40K since 1998 or so. Maybe 'played' is too strong a term. I have been around Warhammer 40K since 1998. My friend Brian painted minis and played a bit and introduced me to the hobby. I was vaguely aware of Warhammer from the ads in Dragon Magazine, but it was an article in InQuest that set me on my path. I was a long time roleplayer and Magic: the Gathering player, at the time, but I was attracted to the artistic elements of Warhammer and 40k, so I kept it in the back of my mind.
In the summer of 2000, my then girlfriend Heather and I moved from the tiny town of Chanute, KS to the college town of Lawrence, KS. We got a little apartment and lived happily, if not lavishly. Lawrence, being a college town, had a vibrant gaming scene. I ended up getting hooked on Warhammer 40K to the point of trading my Magic: the Gathering collection for an Imperial Guard army. That army was traded for a Tau army, which was traded for a Space Wolves army. That Space Wolves army got swapped for a Dwarf army I still own. Simultaneously, I had picked up some bargains on Eldar, via eBay. Without a new codex on the horizon, Eldar values plummeted. I was able to gather almost an entire army for under $100. That army got traded for a mass force of Orks, which I most probably should have kept. The Orks were traded for some Space Marine stuff. That Space Marine stuff sat unused for a couple years.
Uninspired by the upcoming Space Wolves Codex, I decided to trade my army for one that always seems to be available, the Necrons. I like the Necrons visually and the lack of viable army list options is more of a boon to someone like me than a minus. I put my ad up on Bartertown and got a reply hours later. A dude named Rob offered me some Sisters of Battle. I was almost faint.
The article in InQuest, now departed, featured a picture of the then new Sisters of Battle alongside the text. I was enamored by the Sisters for reasons a later post will explain. Each time I traded armies, I looked for someone trading a Sisters of Battle force, but the fates never put one in my path. I took this golden opportunity and traded with Rob. Now I have a Sisters of Battle army of my own and a mission.
I will play a game of 40k, with my own, fully painted army, by next summer. This blog is designed to goad me into continuing to build, paint, and, hopefully, play this army. I mean, does it count as 'playing' 40k when you have not played a game since 3rd Edition? I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment